We all know that mishaps happen, often at the most inconvenient times. You’re almost out the door headed to work and spill coffee on the blouse set aside for your big presentation. Or while getting ready for cocktails, you drop a Ruby Red lipstick on your little black dress. Don’t let these accidents ruin your garments or plans.
Here are quick tips for getting rid of 10 common stains. Remember to immediately soak a stain with cold water, then treat as suggested below.
- Red wine — Blot the area with a damp cloth to remove excess wine. Stretch the fabric over a bowl and coat the affected area with salt. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then pour hot water a few inches above the stain. Launder in a hot water cycle.
- Chocolate — Blot the area with a cloth to remove excess chocolate. Rinse the back of the stained area using cold water. Gently rub some liquid laundry detergent into the stain, then soak the item in cold water for 15 minutes. Launder normally.
- Coffee — Rinse the back of the stain under cold water for 10-15 minutes. If the stain is not completely gone, rub the area with liquid laundry detergent and soak in cold water for 5 minutes. Launder normally.
- Toothpaste — Gently blot the stain with a damp cloth to remove excess toothpaste. Then use a toothbrush to rub liquid laundry detergent into the area. Launder normally.
- Liquid foundation — Remove the excess liquid with a spoon. Apply a small amount of liquid laundry detergent and work it in with your fingers or a piece of cloth. Launder normally.
- Powder foundation — Simply apply a mixture of liquid laundry detergent and water on the stain. Launder normally.
- Lipstick — Using a piece of cloth or cotton ball, dab rubbing alcohol on the stain until it is completely gone. Launder normally.
- Deodorant — In circular and up-and-down motions, gently rub the smudges with a dryer sheet, nylon socks, or the foam used on padded dry cleaning hangers. Then use a clean spot of the inside of your garment to buff the remaining marks. Launder normally.
- Marker — Place a towel on the underside of the stained area. Using a cotton ball, dab rubbing alcohol around the edges of the stain, working inward. The ink should transfer to the towel underneath. Launder normally.
- Grass — Soak the stain in a mixture of one part white vinegar and two parts water. Using a toothbrush, gently scrub the affected area with liquid laundry detergent. Launder normally.